Information of International Scholar Exchange Fellowship 2018-2019
The ISEF program aims to enhance international exchange and cooperation by promoting cross-cultural understanding and academic advancement. To this end, KFAS invites qualified scholars from Asia and the Middle East to carry out research in collaboration with leading Korean universities and research institutions.
- Fields of Research
•Humanities and Social Sciences
•Energy related fields
•Information Science and Technology
* See the link(pdf) for more detailed information
- Eligible Applicants
•University faculty and institution researchers from eligible countries who have a doctoral degree
•Applicants, in principle, must be 50 years old or less.
* Applicants should be able to carry out research in either English or Korean, and they should not have any health issues to hinder their research activities.
* Those not eligible:
– Persons already conducting research in Korea
– Persons whose prime interest is to teach in Korea
- Research Period
– From September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019
– From September 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019
– From March 1, 2019 to August 31, 2019
- Application Materials
1) Online Application
2) Research Proposal
3) 2 letters of recommendation
4) Certificate of employment
5) Research Sample: 2 books or 2 research papers or 1 book and 1 research paper
– An English abstract of no more than 300 words must be provided for each book or research paper
6) Letter of research affiliation from the host institution in Korea (if available at the time of application)
- How to Submit Applications
•Applicants from institutions where Asia Research Center (ARC) is located must submit the application documents to the center.
•Applicants from institutions without Asia Research Center (ARC) must submit the application documents directly to KFAS.
•Submit application to:
International Academic Division, Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies
Teheran-ro 211, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-915, Korea
Tel : 82-2-557-5681 / Fax : 82-2-557-5684 / E-mail : email@example.com
1) Preliminary screening:
Preliminary screening by a panel of scholars from the applicant’s field of expertise.
2) Comprehensive screening:
Final decision through comprehensive screening by the Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies Steering Committee.
Interviews may be arranged if necessary.
- Application Deadline
•February 23, 2018
* All original application materials must reach KFAS by the deadline.
* Announcement of results: March 30, 2018
- Details of Financial Support
– Monthly research stipend of 3,000,000 KRW (approximately 2,600 USD)
– A one-time grant of 1,000,000 KRW after submitting the final research paper at the end of the fellowship
※ If fellows do not enter Korea within one month of the recommended date of entry set by KFAS, the fellowship will become invalid.
– 2,000~5,000 USD (for an article published in journals registered at SSCI, AHCI, SCI)
– 1,000 USD (for an article published in journals registered at the National Research Foundation of Korea)
※ Publication incentives are provided for articles published within 2 years of the date of the fellow’s return to his/her country that indicate the research was funded by the ISEF program at KFAS. The amount of incentives may vary upon careful evaluation of the journal’s influence and the writer’s level of contribution.
•Initial Settlement Support : A one-time payment of 1,000,000 KRW
•Round trip Airfare : Economy-class round trip airfare between the airport nearest to the fellow’s place of residence and Seoul
– National health insurance upon request
– Accident insurance
※Research expenses for the International Scholar Exchange Fellowship Program are provided directly to the fellows, and not to home institutions or hosting institutions.