Research Interests: Pan-Asian community, Asian Cold War, Legacies of the Vietnamese War and the Korean War
- Visiting Distinguished Professor, College of Social Sciences, Seoul National University (2019~2021)
- Senior Research Fellow in Social Science, Trinity College, University of Cambridge (2011~Present)
- Professor of Anthropology, London School of Economics and Political Science (2009~2011)
- Associate Professor of Social Anthropology, The University of Edinburgh (1998~2009)
- Assistant Professor of Social Anthropology, The University of Manchester (1993~1995)
- Ph.D. in Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge (1993)
- After the Korean War: An Intimate History (Cambridge University Press, 2020).
- North Korea: Beyond Charismatic Politics (Rowman & Littlefield, 2012).
- The Other Cold War (Columbia University Press, 2010).
- Ghosts of War in Vietnam (Cambridge University Press, 2008, Kahin prize).
- After the Massacre: Commemoration and Consolation in Ha My and My Lai (University of California Press, 2006, Geertz prize).